Edderton Old Church Preservation Trust
Denomination: Former Church of Scotland
OS Reference: NH 719 843
Address: Edderton, IV19 1JY – alongside A836
Edderton’s Old Church
Church Overview: A remarkably intact example of a mid-eighteenth century church, built 1743 on a much older site. It is a long, low, harled building with rectangular windows and piended dormers. Burial enclosures (now roofless) are built against the gables. The enclosure to the east dates from 1637; and the Tudor Gothic enclosure to the west dates from 1821, and is the family tomb of the Baillies of Rosehall. The church has a galleried interior with a two-tier pulpit, elders’ pews, and front pews with fold-down backs to form long communion tables.
There is a Pictish symbol stone in churchyard:
East face of Edderton’s Pictish Stone
West face of Edderton’s Pictish Stone
In the neighbouring cemetery there is a superb 19th century preaching ‘ark’:
The above three pictures show the Preacher’s Ark
Edderton Old Church became the Free Church after the Disruption in 1843.
Today the Edderton Old Church Preservation Trust preserves the building.
Services: Occasional services
Opening Arrangements: Open by arrangement by phoning Robert Wylie on 01862 821 325.
Disclaimer: The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form below. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.